Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Training Update - Achilles and Underwear

The training was light for the 2 weeks following the 63k Great Walk Event, but I felt the recovery was appropriate.
The training this last week has been great. I did my first long run - 26k - since the Great Walk, and it went smoothly. It wasn't totally simple, but it went just fine. I also have totally kicked ass the last two Tuesday sessions with the Harriers, and really felt that yesterday at the Tuesday Night Workout I really stepped it up a notch or two. In fact, I would say that I was speed training as fast as I have ever gone in my life. I can consistently keep up with the guys that run a 37 min 10k race, so hopefully one day in the next year or so, I'll finally put up a good 10k race time.

Achilles:
In the recovery phase after the Great Walk, I have experienced a slight Achilles tendon issue on the left side. It doesn't seem to hurt when I run, but it is sore and tight when I wake up in the mornings. For the last week, I have been icing it a little and stretching it lots, and it definitely seems much better. I anticipate this problem to be a minor thing that will disappear in the next couple of weeks. I believe, and this is complete speculation, that I injured my Achilles from racing 63k, when my weekly training leading up to it was only ever 60k. Upping the mileage too much on any given run can drastically increase the change for Achilles tendinitis. Going from 38k in a training run to 63k in a race is definitely upping the mileage.

Underwear:
I had a very interesting conversation with Myke after the Great Walk Event. I think the conversation went something like this:

Jeff: "Jesus, I can't believe how saturated my underwear is with sweat after that race."
Myke: "Dude, you wear underwear when you run?"
Jeff: "Yes, why?"
Myke: "Nobody wears underwear when they run."
Jeff: "Really? What do they wear?"
Myke: "Nothing."
Jeff: "What about support for your package while you run"
Myke" Running shorts have mesh lining dude."
Jeff: "Oh."

And with that, I did my last long run - 26k - riding the mesh. And, you know what, it didn't feel any different. I think from now on, I'll be sacrificing the potential fallout for less weight. Less weight on long runs can be key.

Next blog post will be in a week to update people on my next run event.
I'll have some aerial photos of the endeavour as well.

No comments: